Sunday, May 12, 2013

Can I Take My Own Advice?

For the past 19 years I have worked in higher education.  The vast majority of that time has been spent advising students and alumni on how to decide on career paths and then formulate a plan to follow that path.

One of the interesting things about the adventure that I'm on is whether I can take my own advice.  Let me begin by saying that right now I am not entirely sure what I want to do.  One piece of advice that I share with students is that what we are going through is a process; we won't wake up one morning and the light will suddenly go on.  Instead this is a research project and it involves learning about things that interest me, things I'm good at, and things that I value -  those things should be work-related in this case.

Over time, I will be doing a lot of reading and researching in areas related to careers, human resources, recruiting and such.  I will be getting feedback from a lot of people with whom I've worked over time.  That seems like a pretty good way to start the process.  Hopefully, I will remember to compare what I learn, and the feedback I receive to what I know about my interests, skills, and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment